SARC Teesside is the Sexual Assault Referral Centre for the Cleveland Police area.
It is a partnership working arrangement providing a SARC model of practice for victims of rape and sexual assault regardless of whether or not the victim wishes to report to the police.
Since 2014, the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Cleveland has provided funding to the SARC. This is to improve access by raising awareness through promotional and development work across Cleveland.
This year (2017/18) the PCC in partnership with NHS England is formally co-commissioning both the SARC and Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) services.
To enable service continuity, it is recommended to continue to fund the posts of the ISVA, Promotional Worker and Admin Support for a further 12 months. The funding will allow for:
- The production of a SARC newsletter/bulletin
- Social media updates and monitoring
- Representatives at key meetings
- Involvement in regional developments
- Representative at promotional events
- Availability of staff to deliver presentations promoting SARC
- Strengthening the SARC position within the network of ISVAs
- Partaking in ISVA promotion and development work.
This funding supports the PCC’s objective of A Better Deal for Victims of Witnesses.